The Folio: Eddie & Ozzie Awards is the most inclusive recognition program in the publishing community. There’s a place in the spotlight for every digital publication, magazine, regional title, association and brand—if you’re producing content, there’s a home for you in the Eddie & Ozzie Awards.
All types of content and designs are eligible for entry: digital, print, content marketing, social media, videos, apps and more. To ensure fair comparisons, we set up the program so that entries are judged by market and audience size. Meaning, your entries compete only with other titles of similar size and scope. All submissions must be published between May 2017 and May 2018 to be eligible.
Not sure where your publication fits in? We’re happy to help you make the perfect selection to increase your odds of taking home gold. Contact Jessica Coonan at email@example.com or 203-899-8436 for assistance.
STEP 1. CATEGORIES
EDDIES & EDDIES DIGITAL
The Eddie Awards honor cut-above-the-rest examples of editorial excellence. This year we’ve added several new categories to turn up the spotlight on the uncompromising journalism being produced by the dynamic publishing community.
- Advertorial/Sponsored Content NEW! – Awarded to the most creative piece of sponsored/branded content or advertorial. Points will be given for integrating your client’s message in an organic way that serves your audience’s needs.
- Analysis NEW! – Awarded to a piece of journalism that adds further context or commentary to a complex topic.
- App/Digital Edition – Recognizing editorial excellence in an app or browser-based digital edition.
- Breaking News Coverage – Honors exceptional coverage through an unplanned breaking or developing news event. Quality of writing, creative use of multiple platforms and relevance to your publication’s mission will be taken into account.
- Column or Blog – This category honors a unique and powerful voice of commentary that’s fresh and insightful to its space. Individual posts/columns or a series of posts from one individual maybe be entered.
- Editorial Use of Data NEW! – An analytical piece of journalism that effectively integrates data to illustrate a clear narrative. The winner in this category will contextualize what the numbers mean beyond their superficial values.
- Essays/Criticism NEW! – Awarded to a piece of content that integrates the author’s expertise and point of view on a given topic. Examples could be a film or television review, book review or general commentary on a topical issue or passion point.
- Full Issue – Recognizing overall editorial excellence within your magazine’s category, evaluations based on the delivery of your publication’s mission or editorial statement.
- Immersive/Interactive Storytelling NEW! – This category honors exceptional efforts in telling stories through immersive and interactive media. Examples include but are not limited to: 360 video, virtual reality, online tools, augmented reality, mixed reality, or other emerging media.
- Instructional/How-To NEW! – Content that teaches the reader a new skill, or how to improve existing skills. Examples could include cooking, DIY crafts or home improvement, professional skills, and more.
- Investigative Journalism NEW! – Honors a single article or a series of stories that uncover major news based on the reporters’ own investigations that advance and serve the publication’s target audience.
- Launch NEW! – Awarded for outstanding overall editorial content to a magazine that recently launched.
- Long-Form Feature Content NEW! – Recognizing deep, original reporting in a long-form format that embodies the best of journalism. Entries should be between 1,500-20,000 words.
- Magazine Section NEW! – Recognizing the best content mix within a specific section of a magazine (front or back of the book, feature well, etc.). Please submit 3-5 samples of work (samples may include full issues, articles, links to online work, etc.).
- Newsletter – Recognizing excellence in a single newsletter or series of related newsletters.
- Overall Editorial Excellence NEW! – Our “Best in Show” Award will be given to the publication that most successfully fulfills its editorial mission, effectively serves its audience, and represents the highest journalistic standards. Please submit 3-5 samples of work (samples may include full issues, articles, links to online work, etc.).
- Planned or On Location Coverage NEW! – Honors coverage of a single topic that was known or scheduled in advance. Examples include an Election, Royal Wedding, or The Olympics. Quality of writing, creativity in distribution and promotion of coverage and value of the coverage to your audience will be taken into account.
- Podcast – Recognizing excellence in a single episode or series of podcast. Points will be given for originality of voice and creativity of storytelling.
- Profile or Q&A NEW! – Awarded to a piece that profiles and individual or organization and embodies the fundamentals of journalism. Or an interesting and in depth interview.
- Range of Work by a Single Author NEW! – Recognizing a collection of top-tier journalism. A winning profile should include 4-6 pieces that show the author’s range and ability to tell a great story.
- Single Article/Feature – Recognizing excellence in a single article or feature article within your publication’s market category.
- Series of Articles – Recognizing excellence in a series of related articles within your publication’s market category.
- Social Media/Online Community – Honoring any online community or social media network that facilitates audience engagement and interaction. Examples include but are not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Snapchat or custom communities.
- Video – Recognizing excellence in use of video to tell a story and enhance a user’s experience. Single and/or series of videos are eligible for entry.
- Website – Recognizing excellence in online content within your market category. Editorial content, layout, and functionality will be evaluated.
- Editor of the Year – Recognizing the achievements of an individual editor or editorial staff member over the past 12 months.
- Editorial Director of the Year NEW! – Recognizing the achievements of an individual editorial director or editorial team leader over the past 12 months.
- Editorial Team of the Year – Recognizing the achievements of a collective editorial team over the past 12 months.
OZZIES & OZZIES DIGITAL
The Ozzie Awards honor cut-above-the-rest examples of design excellence. This year we’ve moved beyond our traditional magazine media categories to shine a spotlight on the elegant and engaging designs being produced—no matter the platform.
- App/Digital Edition – Awarded for outstanding design, functionality and navigation of a magazine app or digital edition.
- Cover – Awarded for outstanding design of a magazine cover as measured in typography, composition, color, balance, immediacy.
- Data Visualization NEW! – Recognizing outstanding and unique work in visualizing data through infographics, charts, graphs, pullouts, etc.
- Design, New Magazine – Awarded for outstanding overall design to a magazine that recently launched.
- Feature Design – Awarded for outstanding design of a single feature article as expressed in appeal of opener, layout, colors, icons, images and typography.
- Graphic Art (Print) NEW!– Awarded for outstanding use of digitally created or altered artwork in any single article, feature or cover.
- Graphic Art (Digital) NEW! – Awarded for outstanding design of any digital artwork. (May include but is not limited to feature images, motion graphics, gifs, social media graphics).
- Illustration (Print) – Awarded for outstanding use of illustration in any single article, feature or cover.
- Illustration (Digital) NEW! – Awarded for outstanding use of illustration in any digital channel.
- Media Kit – Awarded for outstanding design, impact, memorability and functionality of a media kit.
- Overall Art Direction NEW! – Awarded to a publication that exhibits an exceptional and consistent artistic aesthetic that communicates the brand identity as effectively as the journalism it complements. Please submit 3-5 samples of work.
- Overall Design (Single Magazine Issue) – Awarded for overall design of a single magazine issue. The entire magazine will be evaluated, including sections, departments, features, readability, ease of navigation, use of art and images, and appropriateness of design to the subject.
- Overall Design Excellence NEW! – Awarded for overall design excellence to an outstanding publication. The entire brand will be evaluated, on all platforms. Please submit 3-5 samples of work.
- Photography (Print) – Awarded for outstanding use of photography in any print article, feature or cover.
- Photography (Digital) NEW!– Awarded for outstanding use of photography in any digital channel. May include but is not limited to photo galleries, slideshows, featured images, photojournalism.
- Redesign – Awarded for an outstanding redesign of an existing publication.
- Section Design NEW! – Awarded for design of a single magazine section. Only the section will be evaluated, including readability, ease of navigation, use of art and images, and appropriateness of design to the subject.
- Site Design – Awarded for outstanding design, functionality and navigation of a website.
- Supplemental Annual or One-Shot – Awarded for outstanding overall design of a single issue complement to an existing publication or standalone publication released once per year.
- Table of Contents – Awarded for outstanding design of the table of contents page(s).
- Typography – Awarded for outstanding typographic treatment in any digital or print design.
- Visual Digital Storytelling NEW! – This category honors exceptional and innovative efforts in telling stories through digital means: photos, graphics, illustrations, video, virtual reality or other emerging media.
- Designer of the Year – Recognizing the achievements of an individual designer or design staff member over the past 12 months.
- Art Director of the Year – Recognizing the achievements of an individual Art Director, Creative Director or Design Team leader over the page 12 months.
- Design Team of the Year – Recognizing the achievements of a collective design team over the past 12 months.
STEP 2. ENTRY CLASSIFICATIONS
Use the following guidelines to classify your publication for the Folio: Eddie and Ozzie Awards. You will use these designations when selecting your sub-category to ensure that your entry is competing against entries that are similar to yours.
Any publication, magazine, website or brand that serves the audience of a membership organization or non-profit community. If you work for an association, society, university, council or any other non-profit or not-for-profit organization, this is the classification for you. Examples: IEEE Spectrum, HR Magazine, American Rifleman, AARP, Dartmouth Alumni Magazine
Any publication, magazine, website or brand that serves a specific and sole industry or business community. Examples: PoliceOne, Architectural Record, Hospitality Design Magazine, Pragmatic Marketer
City & Regional
Any publication, magazine, website or brand that serves a specific city or geographic region. Examples: Cape Code Life, Baltimore Magazine, Indulge Miami, D Media Partners, Adirondack Weddings
Any publication, magazine, website or brand intended for general consumers or target demographic within a general consumer audience. Examples: Scientific American, PEOPLE, Yoga Journal, WebMD, Refinery29,
Any magazine or publication contracted by an external client targeting an audience determined by that client intended to serve a content marketing function. Examples: Delta Sky, Merrill Lynch Advisor, The Ritz-Carlton Magazine, Mercedes-Benz Magazine